You are here: Home pageThe Beskydy MountainsMonumentsWooden Architecture

Wooden Architecture


Complex of Shelter lodges at Pustevny (Hermitages)

Soubor útulen na Pustevnách

The place was named after hermits, who had lived here and the last of whom died in 1874. Wooden structures built in the national style by the noted Slovak architect Dušan Jurkovič dominate at Pustevny.

Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius - Hlavatá u Bílé

Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius (Kaple Sv. Cyrila a Sv. Metoděje) from 1922. This concerns a small pseudo-folk chapel of northern type with decoratively carved windows and columns. Open to the public.

Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius - Radhošť

Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius (Kaple Sv. Cyrila a Sv. Metoděje) in Byzantine style, the building was consecrated in 1898. Mosaics in eight windows display events from the lives of Cyril and Methodius, as well as St. Hedvig, St. Ludmila, St. Václav and St. Jan Nepomuk. A lookout is open in the interior with lovely views.

Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Most Holy - Čeladná

z roku 19636 připomíná miniatruní napodobeninu Jurkovičových staveb na Pustevnách. V blízkosti kapličky se nachází altánek nad pramenem Cyrilky.

Chapel of the Holy Cross - Hájek u Lískovce

Chapel of the Holy Cross was enlarged into its current form in 1834. It is built entirely of wide planks. Added before the entrance are statues of the Blessed Virgin and the Saviour, located on the side of a stone stairway leading down to the well. Entry by telephone arrangement with ŘKF Frýdek.

Church of St. Katherine - Štramberk-Tamovice

Church of St. Katherine (Kostel Sv. Kateřiny) from the 14th century. This small church has some original architectural elements – Gothic victory arch, a window with tracery and quarried portal side entrance. Located nearby is part of an old Calvary, the Proskov chapel and the former Tamovice mill with fish pond.

Church of the Archangel Michael - Řepiště

Church of the Archangel Michael (Kostel Sv. A rchanděla Michaela) from 1652. The current appearance of the church is influenced by reconstruction in the first half of the 20th century. Mass every Sunday and on religious holidays.

Komorní Lhotka

Komorní Lhotka

A nice development of national wooden architecture of the Těšín type from the 18th century is located here.

The Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius - Čeladná

The Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius from 1936 is reminiscent of the miniature appearance of the Jurkovič buildings on Pustevny. Located in the vicinity of the small chapel is an arbour over the Cyrilky spring. Pilgrimage of St. Cyril and St. Methodius. Open to the public.

The Church of Corpus Christi in Guty

Kostel Božího těla v Gutech

ranks among the oldest (1563) of the wooden Beskydy churches. Its unique dominant feature is the L-shaped choir with arabesques decorations.

The Church of St. Anthony Paduánský

Kostel sv. Antonína Paduánského na hoře Prašivá

on Prašivá Mountain from 1640 was originally dedicated to Ignatius from Loyola. Since 1673 it has been dedicated to Anthony Paduánský, the patron saint of lovers.

The Church of St. Cyril and Methodius in Hrčava

the youngest (1936) of the wooden churches, at first sight appears to be very simple, however a richly engraved baptismal font is hidden inside. The borders of the Czech, Slovak and Polish Republics meet in the village of Hrčava. Three joint granite blocks with national coats of arms of the respective countries and their names have been erected here.

The Church of St. Frederick in Bílá

Kostel sv. Bedřicha na Bílé

A high slender steeple and structure of the main vessel resembling Scandinavian architecture, also ranks among the historically youngest churches.

The Church of St. Prokop and Barbara

Kostel sv. Prokopa a sv. Barbory

a somewhat exotic-appearing wooden church is located between Kunčice pod Ondřejníkem and Čeladná. It is from Transcarpathian Russia and it was transported to our country during the so-called First Republic. As to its architecture, the three stepped steeples will catch your eye at first sight.

The Church of the Holy Trinity in Gruň

Kostel Panny Marie na Starých Hamrech-Gruni

is attractive with by the decoration of the main vessel walls, cornice and timber decorations. Originally a single-nave building from 1887 it stood alone on the ridge as a landmark of the landscape and it was visible from a distance. At present it is largely hidden among trees.