You are here: Home pageOpavian SilesiaMonumentsCastles, chateaux and ruins

Castles, chateaux and ruins


The ruin of Vildštejn Castle

Vildštejn

The castle was founded on the rock promontory above Lobník Stream late in the 13th century. It was destroyed in the 14th century and only the foundation walls and moats have been preserved. Jan Amos Komenský was allegedly hiding here on his escape from Fulnek in 1621. Not far from the castle there is a place called the Pulpit, where he preached.

The ruin of Vikštejn Castle

Zřícenina Vikštejn

The largest and most significant castle in the basin of the Moravice River was founded by Vítek of Kravaře at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. It was used until the end of the 18th century. Parts of high bulwarks, mysterious cellars and a repaired gazebo - from which there is a magnificent view of the river and surrounding forests of Low Jeseník (Nízký Jeseník) -have been preserved.

Dolní Benešov Chateau

Zámek Dolní Benešov

This chateau is evidence of chateau architecture that developed in several stylistic periods. Only the portal with a coat of arms, dating back to 1498, has been preserved from the original building. In the chateau chapel there is now a museum. In addition to the insignia, originals of baroque statues of Immaculat and Jan Nepomucký are located there. A landscaped park founded at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, which surrounds chateau buildings, is also part of the chateau. The chateau is a seat of the municipal authority.

Chateau Hlučín

Originally a late-gothic fortress, founded in 1439, stood in the location of the present chateau. In the 16th century the building was converted into a chateau for lords of Zvole. In the 19th and 20th centuries the chateau underwent a lot of adaptations, which changed the previous stylistic character of the building. Currently it houses an office of the Cultural and Information Centre of the town of Hlučín.

Kravaře Chateau

Zámek Kravaře

A late-baroque chateau from the 18th century, part of which is also Archangel Michael´s Chapel with a monumental ceiling fresco and beautiful altar. The fresco is the work of F.I Eckstein, who was one of the main representatives of baroque mural wall painting in Moravia and Silesia.

Raduň Chateau

Zámek Raduň

Raduň Chateau lies in the location of a fortress, mentioned in the 15th century, when the village was in possession of squires from Raduň. The fairytale- looking chateau, to which the present shape was given by the eminent Tvorkovští and Larisch- -Mönich dynasties, along with neighbouring ponds and nature scenery creates an unforgettable atmosphere.

Hradec nad Moravicí Chateau

Zámek v Hradci nad Moravicí

The town of Hradec nad Moravicí is the entrance gate to the picturesque valley of the Moravice River, and its landmark is the complex of the White and Red Chateaux along with the adjacent large park. The older building, the so-called White Chateu, is situated in the location of a Slavic hillfort from the 8th century, where the princely castle of the Premyslid dynasty was built in the 11th - 13th centuries. At the end of the 16th century it was rebuilt into a renaissance chateau with a decorative garden. It got its present empire style shape after the fire in 1796, when it was reconstructed according to the design of Jan Mihatch. Other, especially interior adaptations in romance style were made in 1845 - 1859 and after the year 1861. From 1874 to 1891 other buildings, such as the White Tower, a fortification wall with a terrace and the so-called Red Chateau, inspired by unaltered castles of Medieval Germany, were built according to the design of A. Langer and F. Händel. At present they serve as a hotel and renowned restaurant. The chateau park is completed with a landscaped park with an area of approximately 63 hectares, founded in 1796.