You are here: Home pageMonumentsCastles, chateaux and ruins

Castles, chateaux and ruins


The Cvilín Castle Ruins (also Lobenštejn or Šelenburk)

The castle ruins are located on the back of Cvilínský Hill, south-east of Krnov. Its thick walls, a deep well, a round tower and the moat have been preserved. The ruins are open all year round, free admission.

The ruin of Fürstenwalde Castle

Zřícenina Fürstenwalde

The first written record of Fürstenwalde is from 1348. The date of its destruction is unknown but it was probably in the 15th century in the course of Matthias Corvinus ´s campaign in Silesia. Outside walls and relics of foundations of internal buildings have been preserved up to the present.

The ruin of Rabenštejn Castle

Zřícenina Rabenštejn

Relics of two castles, which were built in the first half of the 13th century, are situated on the rocky spur. Closer to the brook there are hardly noticeable relics of the “Pustý Chateau“ (Deserted Chateau), higher up the slope are ruins of the masonry tower called Rabenštejn. This tower probably served only as a watchtower for the castle below.

The ruin of Fulštejn Castle

Zřícenina Fulštejn

It is situated in the remote parts of the Osoblaha Spur above the village of Bohušov. Once a significant manor house with an ingeniously built defence system, it was founded by Herbort of Fulm in the first half of the 13th century. At the end of the Thirty Years´ War the castle was destroyed by the Swedes and since then it has been in ruins. The surroundings of the ruin of the castle serves as a romantic pleasure resort.

The ruin of Šostýn Castle

Zřícenina Šostýn

Once a base of the domain of Olomouc´s bishops, the castle dates back to the second half of the 13th century. It was probably destroyed in the Hussite campaigns and up to this day the castle-moat, two ramparts, ruins of fortifications, the palace and tower have been preserved. Numerous archeological findings (e.g. Šostýn´s Venus) are exhibited in the Museum of Fojství in Kopřivnice. Žižka´s linden tree, which is approximately 200 - 250 years old, can be found on the highest spot of the ruin of Šostýn Castle. Not far from here there is a steep detached calcareous mass called “Raška´s Stone“ with an observation deck.

The ruin of Vildštejn Castle

Vildštejn

The castle was founded on the rock promontory above Lobník Stream late in the 13th century. It was destroyed in the 14th century and only the foundation walls and moats have been preserved. Jan Amos Komenský was allegedly hiding here on his escape from Fulnek in 1621. Not far from the castle there is a place called the Pulpit, where he preached.

The ruin of Vikštejn Castle

Zřícenina Vikštejn

The largest and most significant castle in the basin of the Moravice River was founded by Vítek of Kravaře at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. It was used until the end of the 18th century. Parts of high bulwarks, mysterious cellars and a repaired gazebo - from which there is a magnificent view of the river and surrounding forests of Low Jeseník (Nízký Jeseník) -have been preserved.

Sovinec Castle

Hrad Sovinec

The first mention of the majestic castle, sitting on a large rock promontory in the village of the same name, dates back to 1318. The castle was founded by lords of Sovinec, who belonged to the distinguished Moravian dynasty. It ranked among the defensive castles which guarded the road from the town of Olomouc to Silesia. During the occupation, French prisoners were kept here and their wall paintings have been preserved. As to adaptations from the 19th century, the building of the late-empire St. Augustine Church.

Štramberská trúba Castle

Štramberská trúba

Štramberský Castle was founded late in the 13th century after the partition of dependencies of the Lord of Hückeswagen. In the 16th century the castle was abandoned and fell into disrepair. Up to this day the only relics are the fortification and gothic tower called “Trúba“, which stands over the town of Štramberk and serves as an observation tower with a beautiful view of the Beskydy and Jeseníky Mountains.

Starý Jičín Castle

Hrad Starý Jičín

Nowadays the large ruin of a castle with romantic coves of dilapidated walls and casemates harkens to a once unbreakable castle on a hill close to Nový Jičín. The castle was founded at the beginning of the 13th century by the Hückeswagen dynasty. The significance of the castle as a fortress declined after the Thirty Years´ War and it gradually fell into disrepair. In 1996 the community reconstructed the tower from which there is a beautiful view of wide surroundings. On the ground floor of tower there is a period restaurant. The period exhibition of arms and documents about the castle and estate of Starý Jičín lie on the upper floors. Period events and festivals take place in the castle.

Hukvaldy Castle

Hrad Hukvaldy

The ruin of Hukvaldy Castle is one of the largest in Central Europe and the second largest in Moravia. The stone castle was built in the 13th century by Arnold of Hückeswagen and it was never captured. It was only destroyed by a fire in the 18th century and it is currently partly restored. The tower affords a broad view of the Moravian Gate and the whole Odra River valley all the way to Ostrava and the main range of the Moravian-Silesian Beskydy Mountains.

Jindřichov Chateau

Zámek Jindřichov

The representative chateau in baroque style from the second half of the 17th century is situated in the village of the same name not far from the Polish border. The Klein dynasty, who owned it from the 19th century, enriched the chateau park with a number of exotic wooded plants, especially from North America. At present there is a social institute for youth in the building and it is closed to the public.

Slezské Rudoltice Chateau

Zámek Slezské Rudoltice

Once the chateau and chateau park in Slezské Rudoltice was regarded as the seventh wonder of the world and the place was nicknamed Silesian Versailles. The chateau reached its greatest heyday during the reign of Albert of Hodice in the first half of the 18th century, when it was luxuriously furnished and adapted in rococo style. The most eminent persons of that time such as Prussian King Fridrich II or Voltaire could not miss the chateau festivals. Only a fragment is left from the original park.

Dívčí Hrad Chateau

In the Osoblaha spur there is a village with an interesting chateau, a former castle also called Děvice, Děvčice or Maidelberg. The original castle was probably founded by Opava´s Premyslid dynasty. In 1474 it was captured by the armies of Matthias Corvinus and ruined. In the 16th century a renaissance chateau, documenting the type of Northern Italian strongholds with turrets, was built in place of the castle. The chateau is closed to the public, a sight-seeing tour of the court is possible upon request.

Linhartovy Chateau

Zámek Linhartovy

In the village of Linhartovy at Město Albrechtice there is a remarkable late renaissance chateau from the 14th century. The appearance of the chateau, situated in the middle of the park, has been preserved since the beginning of the 18th century. In the park there is a memorable tree, a mountain oak, the age of which is estimated to be 850 years old. After reconstruction the castle is opened to the public.

Dolní Benešov Chateau

Zámek Dolní Benešov

This chateau is evidence of chateau architecture that developed in several stylistic periods. Only the portal with a coat of arms, dating back to 1498, has been preserved from the original building. In the chateau chapel there is now a museum. In addition to the insignia, originals of baroque statues of Immaculat and Jan Nepomucký are located there. A landscaped park founded at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, which surrounds chateau buildings, is also part of the chateau. The chateau is a seat of the municipal authority.

Chateau Hlučín

Originally a late-gothic fortress, founded in 1439, stood in the location of the present chateau. In the 16th century the building was converted into a chateau for lords of Zvole. In the 19th and 20th centuries the chateau underwent a lot of adaptations, which changed the previous stylistic character of the building. Currently it houses an office of the Cultural and Information Centre of the town of Hlučín.

Chateau Stará Ves nad Ondřejnicí

Zámek Stará Ves nad Ondřejnicí

It was a representative gentry mansion, built in renaissance style presumably in the location of the original fortress by the Syrakovský dynasty in the second half of the 16th century. Thanks to its purity of style as well as unique decorations it ranks among the significant sights of Moravia and Silesia. The castle serves to needs of the municipality. The arcade court is used for concerts.

Chateau Fulnek

Zámek Fulnek

The chateau situated on a high hill is the most significant landmark of the town and is visible from far away. It was built in the location of a former gothic castle from the 13th century, and its definitive appearance developed as late as the beginning of the 19th century. The precinct is made up of two buildings - the Upper Chateau and the later so-called Lower Chateau. The chateau, which is privately owned and not open to the public, is currently awaiting reconstruction.

Bartošovice Chateau

Zámek Bartošovice

The chateau, which was rebuilt into a two-storied square building with a 17th century arcade court is a landmark of the village of Bartošovice. In the interior there are lots of well-preserved features from the 19th century such as a balustrade, wood coffered panelling and coffered doors. The library with a marble fireplace is distinguished by its beauty and intactness. At present the chateau serves as a lodging establishment and an information centre, representative halls are available for holding social events. The chateau park allows for a pleasant walk.

Chateau Bruntál

Zámek Bruntál

Chateau Bruntál with arcade court, surrounded by an adjacent park, is among the greatest landmarks of the town of Bruntál. The history of the chateau stretches back to the second half of the 15th century, when the chateau was founded by lords from Vrbno. Later it was rebuilt into an opulent renaissance chateau in a non-traditional part-circular shape. The present appearance came with the late-baroque reconstruction, which, however, preserved the renaissance arcades in the court and clock tower. So a unique combination of renaissance and baroque styles was developed.

Kravaře Chateau

Zámek Kravaře

A late-baroque chateau from the 18th century, part of which is also Archangel Michael´s Chapel with a monumental ceiling fresco and beautiful altar. The fresco is the work of F.I Eckstein, who was one of the main representatives of baroque mural wall painting in Moravia and Silesia.

Raduň Chateau

Zámek Raduň

Raduň Chateau lies in the location of a fortress, mentioned in the 15th century, when the village was in possession of squires from Raduň. The fairytale- looking chateau, to which the present shape was given by the eminent Tvorkovští and Larisch- -Mönich dynasties, along with neighbouring ponds and nature scenery creates an unforgettable atmosphere.

Šilheřovice Chateau

Zámek Šilheřovice

At the beginning of the 19th century in the location of a former fortress, the Eichendorff family built a classical chateau, which was later converted to a baroque-revival style. In the park by the small lake there is a hunting manor with original pens for hunting dogs and a good restaurant. In the vast landscaped park with rare wooded plants there is one of the largest golf courses in the Czech Republic. The chateau is also used for various social events.

The Fryštát Empire Chateau

Zámek Fryštát v Karviné

The Fryštát Empire Chateau in the town of Karviná, an important mansion of the Larish-Mönich family, was renovated and opened for the public for the first time in 1997. It arose with the rebuilding of the baroque-renaissance chateau.

Studénka Chateau

Zámek Studénka

The structures of the old and new chateau are among protected cultural monuments in Studénka. The renaissance chateau, the so-called Old Chateau, originated with the reconstruction of the gothic fortress from the beginning of the 15th century. A baroque chateau, the so-called New Chateau, was built in the vicinity in the mid-18th century. Both buildings were later adapted to neogothic style.

Žerotínský Chateau - Nový Jičín

Žerotínský zámek

The renaissance chateau in the centre of Nový Jičín was built in the 16th century in the location of the town castle. After the departure of the Žerotíns the building was adapted to the town-hall, which is a landmark of Nový Jičín centre.

Kunín Chateau

Zámek Kunín

Kunín Chateau is among the most precious baroque chateaux in Moravia. A renaissance fortress, rebuilt into a baroque chateau of the Harrach family according to the project of J.L. Hildebrandt, was originally in its location. It reached its greatest heyday at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries during the reign of the countess Marie Walburg Harrach, who built there one of the most modern educational institutes in Central Europe at that time. Its best-known student was the “Father of the Nation“ and great Czech historian František Palacký.

Frýdek-Místek Chateau

Originally a gothic border castle, standing on the right bank of the Ostravice River. In the past it went through numerous renaissance and classical adaptations, which continued until the 18th century.

Slezskoostravský Castle

Slezskoostravský hrad

The castle was built in the second half of the 13th century by the Opole and Těšín princes from the Piastovec dynasty as a border fortress the Czech state (the Ostravice River was a border river). It was a three- -storey building with a system of fortifications. In the 1540s the castle was converted into a renaissance chateau. In 1872 it burnt down but was reconstructed. The main cause of further deterioration was the mining of coal beds directly under the castle. The building slumped by 16 metres (this subsidence is unique in the Czech Republic) and was abandoned. In addition to the castle exhibition, a number of cultural and social events take place in its surroundings.

Hradec nad Moravicí Chateau

Zámek v Hradci nad Moravicí

The town of Hradec nad Moravicí is the entrance gate to the picturesque valley of the Moravice River, and its landmark is the complex of the White and Red Chateaux along with the adjacent large park. The older building, the so-called White Chateu, is situated in the location of a Slavic hillfort from the 8th century, where the princely castle of the Premyslid dynasty was built in the 11th - 13th centuries. At the end of the 16th century it was rebuilt into a renaissance chateau with a decorative garden. It got its present empire style shape after the fire in 1796, when it was reconstructed according to the design of Jan Mihatch. Other, especially interior adaptations in romance style were made in 1845 - 1859 and after the year 1861. From 1874 to 1891 other buildings, such as the White Tower, a fortification wall with a terrace and the so-called Red Chateau, inspired by unaltered castles of Medieval Germany, were built according to the design of A. Langer and F. Händel. At present they serve as a hotel and renowned restaurant. The chateau park is completed with a landscaped park with an area of approximately 63 hectares, founded in 1796.